Thursday, January 1, 2009

A lesson I almost thought I would never forget


I can't believe that I almost forgot to remember.

As we settle back into our house in Charleston after the incredibly fast passing, but long trip to Texas to indulge in family, friends and food in the homeland I was eager to write about our exhaustingly comical escapades with distance travel with a 4 year old and 6 month old twins. Between airlines, rental cars and 6 separate household hotels the adventures to tell are endless.

But, I sat down and opened the Christmas cards and messages that arrived for our military friends scattered by the whims of the Army and then I remembered. I remembered that this year we were abundantly blessed with an entire year with Clay out of harms way, at home with an assignment you can't even call a job, family time oozing from our doors. I was reminded - and after 2 deployments shame on me for having to be reminded - that we are of the too-few that had a year like this one. That all over the world this Christmas we have friends galore who suffered another Christmas without a soldier at home. Those men and women who make it easy for us to forget the work they do, because when they are successful we are free to gorge in the safety of this country. Each and every amazing person who volunteers to protect my kids comes with a story with sacrifices so large and so unreal to the rest of us that they mostly go untold. Who can forget my friend Kate having her 3rd baby the same day her husband flew out of the country only to name her Sarah after the friend who took her to the hospital, or Adrienne who delivered Parker with Larry on the satellite phone from Baghdad surrounded by his soldier buddies encouraging her delivery? Well with this birth announcement below Pam joins the ranks of moms that make me proud of Army wives and because I almost forgot to remember, I am reminding each of us to say a little prayer of thanks tonight for these women who stand behind the men that stand on that wall.

Congratulations Pam and family, may we all remember that your strength (and the thousands like you) buys our peace tonight. The pictures speak a thousand words. Thank you.
----- Forwarded Message ----From: Pam Brooke pgreak1997@yahoo.com: Sunday, December 28, 2008 8:22:11 PMSubject: Joshua Paul Brooke is here!
Hello everyone, and Merry Christmas!

Our family received an amazing Christmas gift this year...Joshua Paul Brooke was born on Christmas Eve at 7:06 p.m. He weighed 7 lbs 10 oz and measured 20 3/4 inches long. Both he and I are doing fine and have been home for a couple of days now.

I am including a few pictures of Joshua's big day, to include one of Chris when he received some pictures in Afghansitan. Chris and I were able to speak very shortly after Joshua's birth...we fell so blessed!

It has been a surreal past few days...from barely making it to hospital in time, to having a baby on the same evening Christ was born, followed by the rush of enjoying Christmas with your family...I am still catching my breath!!!

Thanks for letting me share. I hope your Christmas was a blessed as ours!

Love,
Pam, Chris, Rachael, Allison, & Joshua Brooke

No comments: