Saturday, July 19, 2008

Uncle! Mercy! Wave the white flag...

I don't know the official battle cry for surrendering to three kids, but whatever it is we declare it. After 6 weeks of 24/7 with no professional help we give up. We hired help. Natasha starts next Tuesday for a few hours each week until Clay goes back to work full time at the end of July and then she will be closer to full time when I return to work in late September. I need sleep. I need a shower that lasts more than 3 minutes. I need to eat sitting down and with no one in my lap. I need to go to the grocery store alone. Not every time or everyday, but some of these things some days...maybe...well, a girl can dream...

Clay is working 8 to 4 or so, Kayla is going to adventure camp at her preschool and the babies are working me over at home. To get all of us air, I started walking the neighborhood in the morning . It takes a full hour to get all three of us dressed and ready, 40 minutes to walk and an hour to get us back into the house, changed and settled. By then half the day is gone and I am shaking from hunger (because I only ate 3 courses of breakfast - its an absurd amount of food I am consuming, but that is a different problem) and desperately longing for that allusive shower previously mentioned.

I admit it, I feel like a parenting failure that I can't do it all alone, but I am thankful I have a job with great maternity benefits and a husband that surrendered before I did (so he can't complain about the money!) Natasha tells me that out here it is offensive to call a professional nanny a babysitter, so nanny it is (I would call her a hot dog if she would come help me) and I am thrilled to imagine the moments ahead when someone else gets puked on. (Read: Karsen still has reflux issues).

At this 6 week milestone I would like to announce amazing accomplishments -- like Kennedy can roll from front to back and both babies can sleep a 5 and half hour stretch from 9:30 to 3 and Kayla can name reptiles or spell them -- but I am too tired to really indulge in the amazing blessings that I am drowning in and can only promise you that I will try to get your formal birth announcements there before Christmas.

Our kitchen update is almost done (no, we did not plan for it to still be going after the family expansion) and the guest room is completely available. You are invited to come hold a baby... while I collapse. For now, I have to run as Kayla tells me every single day here birthday is "almost tomorrow" and I have yet to plan a party (with pink cupcakes with chocolate in the middle and butterfly cookies and 2 pieces of candy...). Its my one goal for today. This is the best I could do for pictures, I will try to get some more soon.

I admit defeat,
h

1 comment:

Nicole said...

How is it going with help? Sometimes I wish I had some, too! Email me (with all your free time) and give me and update!!